|Date||5-6 November 2022|
Newcastle upon Tyne
|Capacity||Up to 40 teams|
After a couple of years off, for obvious reasons, SFTW returns and we are hoping to run multiple divisions if possible. The aim is to run 12-16 teams across two divisions (O/W or O/X), but we could have space for up to 40 teams in total, making this one of the biggest indoor tournaments around. Saturday will see half of the teams competing in the morning session and half in the afternoon, with all teams squeezing in on the Sunday for the final rounds. You can expect great fun, great atmosphere, great tunes, and very competitive high level Ultimate. SFTW also falls at a perfect time to be used as a warm up for both University and/or Club qualifiers.
Sport Central at Northumbria University is a fabulous large venue with three pitches housed in the main arena/hall, with plenty of balcony seating for chilling out and watching other games. It has long been the home of the annual Ultimate Resolution New Year tournament, and has become a regular venue for University Regional and National events. The exceptional facilities have also been the home to the Newcastle Eagles basketball team for many years (prior to their recent relocation).
Close to the city centre for food, hotels and transport links, we think you'll agree this is a great place to play Ultimate!
There are a number of car parks close to Sport Central. Please see the map below, and also the University campus map (link below map). You may be best trying St George's on Sandyford Road, Sandyford Square or College St. You can also use the Northumbria University car parks close to Sport Central and Sandyford Road.
If possible, avoid the NCP John Dobson Street as it'll cost you up to £17. If you are parked to the east of the central motorway, there is a footpath under the motorway on Sandyford Rd, and a footbridge if you are south of Sport Central.
We have a small number of Something for the Weekend discs for sale. These are £10 and can be purchased from tournament HQ on the sports hall balcony.
Before you ask, these are Eurodisc, as are the team discs.
"Our professional discs from organic plastic save oil reserves, are made of renewable resources, meet the requirements of sustainability and ensure a positive environmental balance. This material is made of 100% renewable resources. Eurodisc BIO-discs are officially recognised and suitable for competitive level."
There are a few house rules to follow please:
On the field
- All games are 18 minutes long and start and end with a hooter.
- There is a 2 minute gap between all games so leave the pitch quickly in order for the next games to start.
- At the end of all games, the match ends when the hooter sounds. If the disc is in the air at this time, the pass should be completed. If this results in a catch in the end zone, the goal will count.
- Ties are allowed in all of the pool rounds.
- In the knockout rounds, if the scores are tied when the hooter sounds (taking in to account any discs-in-flight being caught), the match should continue until the next team scores a winning point.
- At the end of each match please write your score on the main schedule at HQ (we'll try and get these but we don't always have eyes everywhere so may miss something - just nominate a player to ensure we have all the correct scores).
- Please submit Spirit of the Game (SOTG) as promptly as you can after matches. We appreciate that time is tight in the schedule but it shouldn't take you long! We are using the standard WFDF scoring system and SOTG prizes are sponsored by Force Ultimate.
Off the field
- No throwing of discs outside of the sports hall area.
- Where possible please watch matches from the balcony. If you are on the sideline, please be very aware that you may be interfering with play, including making the game more dangerous for the players.
- Respect all other centre users and staff. Don't forget that SOTG applies to all aspects of a tournament, not just the playing.
- Fire exits are only to be opened in an emergency and should be left clear of bags and belongings.
Please note we will be acknowledging a two minutes silence on Sunday at 11:00. The previous games will have ended at 10:58 and the next games are not scheduled to start until 11:20.
Unfortunately we are not in a position to offer accommodation for this event. There are, however, are a number of hotels close to the venue, or get in touch with your Newcastle friends for a free or cheaper alternative! If you get really stuck we may be able to help out but this is not at all guaranteed so please consider your accommodation before entering the event.
We are recommending starting your evening at The Hancock. From there, it is entirely up to you.
"You’ll always find a warm welcome at The Hancock in Newcastle upon Tyne. It’s a place where you can enjoy the day whether you fancy a few rounds with mates, a spot of lunch with colleagues or a cosy meal for two. Where great food and live sport lift your spirits. And where the banter flows as freely as the drinks."
If you want to head out properly, then check in with some of the local players during the day on Saturday and we're sure you'll have a good time!