|Date||9-10 November 2019|
Newcastle upon Tyne
|Capacity||Up to 40 teams|
After 2018's introduction in Sheffield, SFTW returns to a new venue and will this year be split into Open and Women's divisions. The aim is to run 12-16 teams in each division, but we could have space for up to 40 teams in total, making this one of the biggest indoor tournaments around. Saturday will see half of the teams competing in the morning session and half in the afternoon, with all teams squeezing in on the Sunday for the final rounds. If you've ever been to Mix & Mingle (or even the Sheffield Hat) you'll have an idea of what to expect - great fun, great atmosphere, great tunes, but very competitive high level Ultimate. SFTW also falls at a perfect time to be used as a warm up for both University and/or Club qualifiers.
Unfortunately there was not enough interest in the women's division so this has been cancelled.
Sport Central at Northumbria University is a fabulous large venue with three pitches housed in the main arena/hall, with plenty of balcony seating for chilling out and watching other games. It has long been the home of the annual Ultimate Resolution New Year tournament, and has become a regular venue for University Regional and National events. The exceptional facilities have also been the home to the Newcastle Eagles basketball team for many years (prior to their recent relocation).
Close to the city centre for food, hotels and transport links, we think you'll agree this is a great place to play Ultimate!
Info to follow
York City Ultimate
Huck Buddies (the return)
Too Many Pies 1
Too Many Pies 2
Whoa Whoa Whoa
There are a few house rules to follow please:
On the field
- All games are 17 minutes long and start and end with a hooter.
- There is a 1 minute gap between all games so leave the pitch quickly in order for the next games to start.
- At the end of all games, the match ends when the hooter starts. If the disc is in the air at this time, and is subsequently caught in the end zone, the goal will count.
- Ties are allowed in all of the pool rounds.
- In the knockout rounds, if the scores are tied when the hooter sounds (taking in to account any discs-in-flight being caught), the match should continue until the next team scores a winning point.
- At the end of each match please write your score on the main schedule at HQ (we'll try and get these but we don't always have eyes everywhere so may miss something - just nominate a player to ensure we have all the correct scores).
- Please submit Spirit of the Game (SOTG) scores at the end of your play on Saturday, and then after each match on Sunday (you have far more time between matches on Sunday so no excuses!). We are using the standard WFDF scoring system and SOTG prizes are sponsored by Force Ultimate.
[SUBMIT YOUR SPIRIT OF THE GAME SCORES BY CLICKING HERE]
Off the field
- No throwing of discs outside of the sports hall area.
- Where possible please watch matches from the balcony. If you are on the sideline, please be very aware that you may be interfering with play, including making the game more dangerous for the players.
- Respect all other centre users and staff. Don't forget that SOTG applies to all aspects of a tournament, not just the playing.
- Fire exits are only to be opened in an emergency and should be left clear of bags and belongings.
Unfortunately we are not in a position to offer accommodation for this event. There are, however, are a number of hotels close to the venue, or get in touch with your Newcastle friends for a free or cheaper alternative! If you get really stuck we may be able to help out but this is not at all guaranteed so please consider your accommodation before entering the event.
The majority preference on entering was to provide 'a good pub space to socialise with other teams' so we will look at options to make this happen. If you want to head out properly, then check in with some of the local players during the day on Saturday and we're sure you'll have a good time!